Yield: 14 CUPCAKES
Prep time: 25 MINUTES
Total time: 45 MINUTES, PLUS COOLING
These super moist cupcakes are bursting with vanilla, juicy blueberries and a hint a lemon. Top them with lush cream cheese frosting and they’ll soon be a new favourite!
- 1 and 2/3 cup (210g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (100g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup (62g) yogurt or sour cream (Greek or regular yogurt are fine)
- 3/4 cup (180ml) full fat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 and 1/3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw if using frozen)
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 pound cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter (1 cup), softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line two muffin pans with cupcake liners (this recipe makes 14 cupcakes, so there will be two batches). Set aside.
- Make the cupcakes: In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together until combined. Set aside. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Whisk in the granulated and brown sugars. Mixture will be thick. Vigorously whisk the egg, yogurt, milk, vanilla, and lemon zest until combined and uniform in texture. Slowly whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Divide batter among 14 cupcake liners and bake in batches for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Make the frosting: In a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand-held electric mixer in a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, sugar, and butter on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to high, and mix until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. (Occasionally turn the mixer off, and scrape the down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.)
Reduce the speed of the mixer to low. Add the vanilla, raise the speed to high and mix briefly until fluffy (scrape down the bowl occasionally). Store in the refrigerator until somewhat stiff, before using. May be stored in the refrigerator for 3 days. Unfrosted cupcakes remain fresh covered tightly at room temperature for 3 days. Store frosted cupcakes in the refrigerator for up to 2 days and allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- Make ahead tip: Prepare cupcakes and frosting 1 day in advance. Keep cupcakes covered tightly at room temperature and the frosting covered tightly in the refrigerator. Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before frosting and serving.